September 26, 2009

Welcome!

I'm a 26 year old graduate student trying to plan a cheap, fun, unique winter wedding, all in less than a year! I got engaged in April 2009, for my 26th birthday, and am getting married on Cape Cod in December 2009.  


A little about my wedding:

My fiance and I originally planned to have our wedding in the Dominican Republic. We loved the idea of having an intimate wedding in a tropical getaway for our closest friends and family and had always dreamed of getting married by the ocean. We had the venue reserved, I bought a lovely dress, and I had even won a free destination photography package. I couldn't have been more excited for my dream wedding.


But then the economy crashed, and suddenly, our dream wedding no longer seemed like a reasonable option for numerous reasons. I think I went through all the phases of grief within a week. I know it sounds silly, but I had already put so much time, energy, and passion into our Carribbean wedding that I felt like I couldn't bear the thought of throwing it all out the window. 


Once I was finally able to accept that having a wedding on Cape Cod, where I grew up, would be much more financially feasible for for me and my guests, I faced another dilemma. Should I keep the wedding in the winter, as planned, now that I would no longer be in a warm climate, or postpone the wedding for six months? Ultimately, my fiance and I decided that we did not want to wait any longer to be husband and wife. Neither of us had ever wanted a long engagement, so we decided to stick with the winter wedding.


Now, when I tell most people that I'm getting married on Cape Cod, their first response is usually something along the lines of "Ooohhhh, very nice" followed with a random story reminiscing about their experience of Cape Cod. The standard follow-up question is to ask me what my wedding date is. When I respond "December 12th," I always get an "Oh. That will be chilly." Yes, I know Cape Cod in the middle of winter is not most people's idea of the ideal wedding locale. So my goal with this blog is to change people's perceptions of a) winter weddings in general (we don't all have to be June brides!) and b) Cape Cod in the winter. I hope to inspire others to have more offbeat, nontraditional weddings, to show people that you don't have to spend a fortune to have a fantastic wedding, as well as to see the beauty in a New England winter! 

Thanks for reading :-)

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your plans! We're looking forward to following your wedding details. Cape Cod is beautiful anytime of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across your blog. Congrats on your engagement! I'm looking forward to following along! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails