October 9, 2009

Ceremony Reading Inspiration: Louis de Bernieres

My fiance and I have been stuggling to choose and agree upon readings for our ceremony.  Our predicament led me wonder how common of an issue this is between engaged couples.  Our main problem is that he is a Christian, and wants a Bible reading, while I do not adhere to any particular religion, and find that many Bible readings do not really align with my values.  Thus, we decided to compromise.  One of our readings will be a standard Bible chapter of his choice, and another one will be my choice.  As a lover of great literature, I want a novel excerpt that really speaks to us a couple.  So far, I'm strongly leaning towards this excerpt from Captain Corelli’s Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres:

“Love is a temporary madness; it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of eternal passion. That is just being in love, which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Those that truly love have roots that grow towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossoms have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two.”  
  
This may be short, but I think it's really sweet and I love its realistic take on love.  But I need feedback on this! What do you think of this reading?  Does anyone have other readings that you used in your wedding or have heard at other weddings that you might post as suggestions? Thanks :)

3 comments:

  1. Are you serious?? This is BRILLIANT!!!!

    If you don't use it, I'm using it in mine. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL thanks and thanks for reading my blog! I'm glad it's well received :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful, but very practical. I have some more flowery suggestions on the blog. Also, I read you can search for inspiration on spark notes.


    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails